Thursday, January 20, 2011

Late Night Writer Welcomes You....

Hello Aspiring Writers!

Welcome to the first official blog post of Late Night Writer. Ok, I confess, I had originally created Late Night Writer a few years ago on another blogging platform but the concept of blogging was fairly new and truthfully, I don't think I was ready to commit to it. A couple of years older now, and I have come to realize that if I am to increase my success as a freelance writer, I must develop my social media skills beyond Facebook.

I tried my hand at freelance writing years ago, before the onslaughter of the internet. It was a cumbersome process that required the writer to send away for submission guidelines for a prospective market via regular postal service. God forbid you did not include a self-addressed stamped envelope (SASE)! The wait for those said guidelines could be anywhere between a couple of weeks to a couple of months. Once received, and query crafted and sent away once again with another SASE, the wait began.

A response, if any, was pretty unpredictable as to when it would show up if it at all. If the response was favorable, then the writer was instructed to send the finished manuscript complete with another SASE! This is where it got tricky, if you were sending your work outside your own country then you were required to include an International Reply Coupon (IRC) which enabled the recipient of your correspondence to purchase postage at their post office to send your stuff back to you. Needless to say, my very first attempt at freelance writing was a big flop. It was hard to keep up the momentum when you were waiting up to one year to hear back regarding your query or manuscript.

Years later, after I purchased a new computer and got online, the internet opened up the freelance writing world to me. Ten years later since that glorious day, I am an active freelance writer and have penned over 500 articles on various topics for markets throughout Canada and the U.S.

The journey towards financial freedom through my freelance writing efforts has been long but exciting. I still get a thrill when I sell an article especially if it is to a new market  that I had been trying to crack. My writing portfolio includes columnist, articles, web content, reviews, newsletters, news abstracts, press releases, resumes and everything inbetween. The road has been varied but the satisfaction that I derived from my writing is immeasurable.

What about you? What's your story?

Until next time, ciao!

1 comment:

  1. I read your posts backwards and Im here at your beginning. I like it keep it up I will read and reply.

    ReplyDelete